The Bridge student behavior process is handled in the following way:
• Upon the appearance of inappropriate behavior, the student is redirected by the staff member. The majority of the time, the response expected from the student is a sincere apology upon the recognition of the behavior. The class then continues with its normal progression.
• If the student persists with the behavior, he/she may be removed from the class to a one-on-one setting. This allows for a conversation to take place between the adult and the student without the rest of the class observing.
• If the behavior continues, he/she may be brought to the office to speak with the Principal. If a referral is written, the student may be given a referral “work off” sheet.
• The next step would be to contact that parent and/or Probation Officer, if applicable. The student may be referred for counseling. The staff will also meet after school to discuss the student behavior.
• Out-of-school suspension is used only as a last resort.
Referral Work-off Sheet Students have the option to “work off” minor referrals through either community service within the program environment or good behavior throughout the entire day. This means no reminders or redirection of any kind during the course of the day. Teachers will indicate behavior/work completed in each class.